Skip to main content
12:00 am
and tight and i learn stuff i can use on her. >> keeps the relationship fresh and tight. nor are they afraid to talk openly about it on jimmy kimmel live. >> did you guys have porn insurance, because that's so important? >> no, we did not. >> early, is it possible that angela threw your porn out? because she would be my lead suspect. >> nice to see they have a sense of humor about it. nice also that he's getting a little fame out of the heinous crime that was perpetrated upon him. the question is once the bright light of attention begins to fade, how in the world will early deal with his loss? >> what do i do now? collect over, start over. and buy them again. >> that's the spirit. i know what you're thinking. is there somewhere i can donate to early in his time of need?
12:01 am
perhaps a benefit concert is in the works or some sort of a telethon. fear not, the generous people of the adult entertainment industry are apparently giving early a whole bunch of free movies to help replenish his collection. it's a pornicopia of riches on the ridiculist. that's it for us on "360." don't miss the special on the jodi arias trial one hour from now. and the forced spending cuts have kicked in. stay tuned for the latest. >> tonight, i'm making a house call. giving piers a rest after that flu shot, and the news that left even him speechless. your blood pressure. >> it's high. >> high. >> how high? >> 147 over 89. >> now, i'm here for you. together, we're finding health in america. doing the right things to stay fit and fabulous, helping me, my superstar friends. how many push-ups can you do? >> not enough.
12:02 am
>> madeleine stowe is spectacular at 54. >> 50, to anybody who worries about reaching that age, it feels great. where life has all kinds of possibilities. ♪ girls they want to have fun >> the one and only cyndi lauper. >> sleep. biggest killer. if you don't get sleep, it will kill you. >> and new mom again, lisa loeb. >> i'm dr. oz, and this is a special edition of "piers morgan tonight." >> good evening. welcome. i'm dr. mehmet oz, in for piers tonight. we have a special hour tonight, one you won't want to miss. it's all about finding health in america, from staying fit, to food, to sleep, and sex, we're bringing you the answers you need to know. it's not easy, but we can do it together. tonight, i'm going to show you exactly how. to help me out, pop icon cyndi lauper, and lisa loeb. i want to start with madeleine stowe. she's been featured in dozens of movies and television shows and
12:03 am
she's starring on revenge on tv. take a look. >> my son floats through life unable to make his own decisions. you could have dissuaded him at any point. why didn't you? >> i guess i wanted to see him win. >> you selfish little girl. in doing so, you may have cost him his greatest loss. >> playing mean every week. does that bring you joy? >> it does. you know, because i think we all have a real dark streak in us. and because we're just not allowed to act out, unless you're a total sociopath or borderline personality, which i actually think victoria is. i have been doing a lot of reading about border line personalities. you just can't do it, so it's cathartic, wonderful. i think we're living in very interesting times right now where there is a celebration of the self, and people are constantly self advertising and self promoting. i see essentially nothing wrong
12:04 am
with it, but i don't tweet, i don't facebook, i don't do any of those things because i know i would be checking every two seconds, and i'm getting kind of worried that we're all going to have some kind of a society that has a narcicisstic disorder. i'm being heavy here, but it's really interesting because each time one checks their phone, there's this kind of instant gratification. and it's like a rat with a pellet, you know, they kind of -- >> part of the reason i wanted you to join us is to talk about how wonderfully you have aged. i understand i'm allowed to mention your age. >> you can mention my age. i'm 54 years old. >> 54, thank you. just confirmed. it's a dangerous thing to do otherwise. i would predict that your body thinks you're a lot younger than that. i must point this out to everybody. i didn't realize this until i was preparing for the show. i'll read this, people magazine's most beautiful issue, in 1994, and in 2012. that's an 18-year span. how do you stay so youthful? what's the secret? >> if you're just talking about
12:05 am
pragmatic things, i like to hike. you know, which is really important. but i also believe in not overexercising, which i don't follow any of the doctors' rules about that. i think it places too much strain and stress on the body. i think that you have to do things you enjoy, but more than anything, i'm really engaged in sort of what i like to think is my life's work. i love my work as an actor, but i'm involved with an organization in haiti. since 2008, since before the quake, and there are these remarkable people led by a man who is a doctor and a catholic priest, and they serve probably about 250,000 people a year through education, through health care. you know, through labor programs, all kinds of things. >> you get your purpose in part -- >> they give it to me. when i go down there, there's this sense of euphoria i feel in spite of the fact you're surrounded by very difficult situations.
12:06 am
i mean, there are people who have been all over the world, and when they go to haiti, they're in a good bit of shock, but the people are incredibly vibrant. they have embraced me. they have allowed me to partially heal a deep wound that happened when i was a child. that went on for many years, my father had multiple sclerosis and alzheimer's at the same time. he deteriorated very rapidly, and i was helpless, but when i go there, there are things i can do to help these people, and they help me in return. you know, they heal these psychic wounds. so when i'm not doing it, i feel as if i'm imploding. you know, it's just something in my character. i feel as if i'm starting to go into a bit of a depression. but when i feel i can be effective, then i feel vibrant and alive and engaged with the world. i think that's the most important thing. >> this deep psychic wound you refer to, is this the powerlessness you felt in your father's illness? >> yes, i don't want to be dark, but when i was 6 years old, he
12:07 am
completely lost all ability to walk, his mental faculties, he had real violent tendencies, so we had to live kind of secret lives. and i developed, i think, over time, a pattern of keeping secrets very well. and it's very important not to do that. it's important not to lie in life. you know? because even if you're telling small lies, larger ones start to happen. and i feel that you are no longer true to yourself, you know, and it affects your relationships. i'm not saying i was a path logical liar or anything like that, but you tend to draw that in from the outside world, and the most important thing you can do is make your life as real as possible and ground yourself in work that is really meaningful. >> how is your temperament? >> my temperament, it's interesting. most people would say i'm quite even. it's very interesting.
12:08 am
i was having a conversation with a man last night, christopher stone, who runs the soros foundation, the open society foundation, and we were talking about an instance that happened in haiti where i was at a rice -- a place where they stored rice, and it was right after the quake. and gunshots were going off. and i had no reaction. i had zero reaction. the men were pulling me to the ground, and there was sort of no fear, but what i have is a lot of anxiety. things whir through my mind a lot, my mind goes a mile a minute, so i'm not a great sleeper. if you have suggestions for that, bring them on. >> sleep is a major issue. half the population over the age of 50 has an issue with it. let me focus back on you and your checklist. you seem very feisty to me. >> yeah, yeah. >> you can get what you want, so i'm going to quiz you on how you deal with some of these issues. obviously, the fifth decade of life is supposed to be our happiest decade.
12:09 am
do you find yourself in a happy place? >> the morning i turned 50, i walked into my coffee shop, and i said, i'm 50, and it feels great. 50s, to anybody who worries about reaching that age, it feels like that marvelous time in your early 30s. you know, where life has all kinds of possibilities. you have come into your own, and it's wonderful. 40s are tricky. you know, 40s, you're doing a lot of questioning, but 50s, you feel like you have to put the burn on and accomplish the things in life you always dreamed of because there's not that much time. we're not -- maybe i'll live to be 90. my mother was 98. it still doesn't seem like enough time. >> it's been studied. everything you say resonates with so many folks because you work some of the craziness out of your life. your check list, you mentioned activity. you think you're active for 30 minutes a day? >> yes, for the most part. probably about five times a week, i do an hour hike. >> perfect.
12:10 am
do you floss your teeth? >> yes. >> you do? >> i love my dentist. i love my dentist and i love getting my teeth cleans. >> do you supplement? >> say again. >> do you take supplements? >> not as much as i should. i take fish oil capsules. >> good. >> with coq10, and then i take a powder supplement that has all of the b vitamins. >> first, with a father who had issues with ms, and did he have any of the neurological issues besides that? >> yes, he used to have grand mall seizures. >> it's worth focusing on you potentially having those genes or weaknesses in those areas. vitamin d is important for ms. omega 3 is important for any brain health. if i get anything across today, omega 3. >> they're wonderful, and they leave your skin. that's from that. that's what it does. >> omega 3 fats. multivitamins with extra d and calcium/magnesium.
12:11 am
>> i do take sinthroid so it's important in terms of bone loss to have that supplement. >> do you meditate, take time to yourself? >> hell no. >> making sure you don't. 5 minutes at a time, it's your time. go to the bathroom, don't tell anybody you're there. hide out there, you're in the bathroom. even those five minutes make a difference. how many push-ups can you do? >> not enough. i do pilates, which is really wonderful. >> roughly ten push-ups is sort of the goal? >> i can do that. >> the final test, stand for me. the balance test. the ballerina in you is going to step forward. someone our age ought to be able to stand on one foot. go on one foot. >> uh-huh. >> then you have to close your eye. >> we're so sunk. i'm so scared. >> 20 seconds. i'm holding you. >> 20 seconds? not even. >> four seconds is not bad. >> we're going to do it again. wait, wait.
12:12 am
can i lightly hold on to you because i'm in high heels? >> one, two. it's not lightly holding on. >> terrible. >> have a seat. a lot of folks don't realize this, but balance is an acquired art. there are three parts of your brain that have to work together for balance. you have to know where your body is, you can use your eyes or ears and those three have to dance together. when we lose our sense of balance, that's when falls happen. people have to do what we did, practice on one leg, one leg up, with an eye closed, but you can do it. >> okay. >> let me go back to the one issue, purpose. it's striking to me how you have been able to accomplish that purpose in your life and i applaud you because that's probably the most important tip at all. if your heart has a reason to keep beating, it will. you mentioned sleep. you talked about work and dreams. >> insane, insane dreams i have. is that what you said? >> yes. >> oh, god. they're incredibly vivid and they don't stop, which must mean that i'm not having a certain quality of sleep. is that correct? >> later in the show, we'll walk
12:13 am
you through dreams. why so many of us don't have the right kinds. i have high hopes you're going to benefit. >> i'm going to remind our audience of one of the greatest moments of film history. take a look. >> you've done everything you can do. save yourself. if the worst happens -- >> you stay alive. do you hear? you'll survive. stay alive, no matter what occurs. i will find you. >> wasn't that fabulous? >> i remember that day. i was smashed. >> you were smashed? >> it was so cold. it had just hit winter and we were filming in this cave. i think it was about 22 degrees, and i was liquored up. i'm sorry to tell you, but i remember it very vividly because it was so cold.
12:14 am
>> what an iconic moment. >> i love that movie. next, age is not just a number. grammy award winner and music icon cyndi lauper gets ready to celebrate a very big birthday.
12:15 am
12:16 am
12:17 am
♪ they just wanna they just wanna they just wanna ♪ ♪ girls girls just wanna have fun ♪ >> she has sold more than 50 million albums and had some of the greatest hits of the '80s including "girls want to have fun," "time after time," and "true colors." grammy winner cyndi lauper is joining me now. she's graciously allowed me to announce she's turning 60 in june. congratulations. >> really? >> really. >> wow. i have been a little busy.
12:18 am
i haven't thought about it. >> the issue with age in general is a lot of folks aren't happy with their age, but they don't realize they can change how old their body thinks they are. frankly, the chronological age, if i did your mathematical test and subtracted your birth date and figured it out, who cares? how old does your heart think you are? how old do your lungs and brain think you are? that's a reflection of how you feel today. >> i'm a little tired today. i'll be honest with you. i was up very early. >> why is that? work? >> doing work, meeting and greeting and looking like a painting. >> when you think of the video at the outset? >> i'm very proud. proud to be part of it. proud of all the things i fought for, to have all different races of women with me. so that every little girl, no matter who she was, or what color she was, would look at that screen and realize that she, too, was entitled to have fun.
12:19 am
because a joyful existence is in -- everyone is entitled. not just some. >> if you could give advice to that young dancing girl we just saw, what would you tell her? >> well, i was so busy working then that i couldn't think. i was just trying to get it done and get the artistic part of it so the foreground, the background, the comedy, how it would affect people, the color. but i don't know. i would probably say it's not anything what you think, and that life is going to be a roller coaster. going to be up, you're going to be down, because that's -- it's really the ride, and i was down so long that when i went up, i was like, whoa, it's going to always be like this. not always. it depends on what you're willing to do if you want to be there always. you know, i have a very strong feeling of integrity.
12:20 am
i have a very strong feeling of endurance because i come from sicilian women who teach you to endure, so in other words, the last man standing really wins. well, actually, it's woman. and you know, you dig your heels in and you stand and you endure, and you keep going. >> but that's part of the life struggle that actually gives us purpose. again, part of the reason i wanted you to join us is because you're someone who has found vitality at many stages of your life. it came across in those iconic songs from earlier in med school, and they're still that way today. take for example your voice, right, your voice that is so beloved by so many. >> it's a big gift. >> it is a big gift, but there are times when our voice goes away. sometimes we threaten our voice by not treating it right or we don't understand our voice.
12:21 am
>> you have to be very clear about what you want, you know? you want to eat this [ bleep ]? it's no good for you. it's going to burn everything. you want to eat late at night. you're going to have that kind of voice. you want to have a good voice? be a little strict. think about the sound. there's nothing equal, honestly, than being able to ride on that sound, and you feel your lungs compress and the sound when you can just float away. soar off bravely into the blue, that's what it's like. and as a kid, was always my voice that helped me. to this day, i take vocal lessons because i'm so busy, i'd be doing the vocal exercises all wrong. i studied vocal therapy, so if you're tired -- that's the other thing, sleep. biggest killer. if you don't get sleep, it will kill you. >> i'm so happy you mentioned
12:22 am
that because we're going to spend a segment on sleep later in the show. let me take you through the test checklist. >> am i taking a test? i don't do good. >> you want a pen? >> okay. look at that. >> you like that? it's a snake, two snakes around that. >> snakes are good. >> all right, do you get your blood pressure checked annually? >> yeah, well, sometimes. depends on if i have to go for something else. >> do you know your blood pressure? >> usually sits around -- i don't know. 60 to 80 below/above. i don't know, one thing above, one thing below. it's usually kind of low. >> you're lapping poor piers. your heart rate? you know your heart rate? i'll check that. >> i'm nervous now. >> i don't want to make you nervous. you get oral exams? you have doctors look in your mouth? >> when i go to the dentist.
12:23 am
i try every year, i try. sometimes it's two years. but i go to the chinese doctor. they always look at your tongue. >> there's so much you can learn. >> i look at my tongue, too. if it's all white, i'm in trouble. not enough water, not enough, you know, you have to change everything. >> one big insight i'll share is a lot of the alternative approaches, it is really representative of the globalization of medicine. we're taking tips from china and using with it tips from india and africa and south america, and that all comes together. part of our challenge in life, for everyone, is to keep checking off the items. your pulse right now is actually around 70, which is good. a pulse of 70 is a good number to have because when women have pulses that are above 90, when they're sitting down doing nothing, it's a big issue. you talk about sicilian women digging their heels in, when it's pitter-patter, it's an issue. >> sicilian women, you know sicilian mentality, remain calm.
12:24 am
after, when it's least expected. no, i always think to myself when i'm really down, i honestly, i think about what it feels like to be happy. what it feels like to be well. what it feels like to have everything work out smoothly. even if it's not because if you can't feel it, how are you going to ever get it? and even if you don't have it right now, i like to feel it anyway. >> you have a new reality show. i want to show it to everybody. take a look. >> it went much smoother than i thought. i was able to do those steps. i mean, one time i think i was on the wrong side of the stage, but i knew i could sing. so you know, if all else fails, sing. >> cyndi lauper, still so unusual.
12:25 am
when we come back, singing the joys of motherhood. i'll talk to lisa loeb about having a baby in her 40s.
12:26 am
12:27 am
12:28 am
12:29 am
♪ you say i only hear what i want to ♪ ♪ i don't listen hard don't pay attention to the distance that you're running ♪ ♪ to anyone anywhere i don't understand if you really care ♪ ♪ i'm only hearing negative no no no ♪ >> her music made her a hit with fans. her glasses are a trademark, and with me now, musician lisa loeb. also an author, designer, and new mom at the age 44. new mom. >> i know. can you believe it? my baby is 8 months old. almost 8 months old. >> you have another who is 3? >> yes, my daughter lyla and my son emmett. >> what does it do to your body at age 44 to have those beautiful miracles come out of you -- >> come out of you, literally. >> and then go back to being your old self? >> it's pretty amazing. people always ask me about my age and having kids at such a
12:30 am
risky age. it's funny. i don't feel really old, so i didn't really think about it so hard. i was trying to get to the perfect place to my life when i had a partner who is actually my husband and was ready to have kids, and i happened to be in my 40s. i don't know what to compare it to because i just am where i am. >> you took the real age test, right? >> i was actually in the computer from before when i had taken it about five years ago. >> what's your real age? >> my real age is 37.9, or something, but i have to say i wasn't sure if it was right. it asked me about smoking in the work place. i don't smoke, but as a musician, i played so many clubs, especially before smoking was banned, i would play clubs were people were smoking and i would insist that we do a smoke-free show. sometimes the owners would get angry. the fans loved it. i was in europe around smoke. that might have skewed thing said. >> that's such a wonderful number. just to give texture to this, obviously, the real age is what
12:31 am
your body thinks you're doing. how old your body thinks you are. so again, a simple little test. what i like about the test is if gives you a barometer of how you're doing in life. if your body thinks you're 37.9, it makes the pregnancies a little easier. >> the pregnancies were totally healthy, natural. i had some drugs when i was having the babies at a certain point. it's a crazy experience, but luckily, i was able to do it, you know, without any special magic. i will say, though, because people ask me a lot on my website, is it true, did you really have them? are they your kids and all that? but i think it's so important because a lot of women in their 30s and 40s talk to me. i think it's so important to find out what's going on with your body. even if you're not married or not sure if you're going to do it on your own. there are so many things people go through when they're thinking about having kids, but they're too scared to find out what's going on with their own bodies. >> were you nervous about getting pregnant that late? >> i didn't feel nervous.
12:32 am
i knew i should be nervous. i knew i should be really focused on it. again, i didn't feel old. again, my doctor said you may feel young but your body may not. as the years went by, i found out what i could do to find out about my own body and if it was possible and what my options were. in the end, i was lucky and got pregnant. >> we have done a lot of shows on fertility and it drops precipitously after age 35. the optimal age to get pregnant, believe it or not, if you actually marry the health of your body with your socioeconomic issues, it's age 30. >> that makes sense. i mean, but being a person who is 30 and not being in a relationship that's leading to having children, as another doctor said to me, you are where you are. you are where you are so you have to deal with where you are. now, you know, it's frustrating to hear when you're e38, you would have been better off having a kid eight years ago. what are you going to do?
12:33 am
it's important, you're great about that, educating people, and people learning about their own bodies so they can figure out what their options actually are. >> let me tease into your life, find out where you are. i have a quiz for you. you talk about general health habits. what's a typical breakfast? >> every day, i have two breakfasts. ezequiel bread which is a great sprouted grain bread with almond butter. that's my first breakfast with a cup of coffee with 2% milk and a little sugar. >> very precise, dr. loeb. >> that's my morning. then my second breakfast and my dad is dr. loeb. he's a stomach doctor. my second breakfast because i get hungry later, is usually fruit and cheese, or fruit and greek yogurt, which i love because it tastes like whipped cream. >> eye health, since you design eye ware, what do you do to protect your eyes? >> i put drops in my eyes when i'm traveling because i have to keep them moist. sometimes i put something over
12:34 am
my eyes when i'm sleeping because sometimes you open your eyes when you're sleeping. i'm supposed to take lutein. i don't. >> lutein is a vitamin, a nutrient you can take, but you can get it from leafy green vegetables. >> i'm fine, i live on kale. i'm obsessed with kale. >> coffee, i understand you use it to get your brain going. do you have mommy brain at all? >> i thought i didn't, but i think i do. people say it's mommy brain when you get confused. i definitely have mommy brain. i will go to a birthday party an hour later than it was supposed to start or think it's a different day, but i think it's also generally trying to juggle the lives of two children, a family, seven different -- having records out and books out and traveling and doing a lot of different things and every once in a while, all of my computers and cell phones don't sync up. i get a little cloudy. >> lisa's new album is called "no fairy tale." when we come back, we talk about sleep. are your dreams of a good
12:35 am
night's sleep a fairy tale? before the break, take a look at lisa's new music video. ♪ it's just as well ♪ you can close the book ♪ curse the turn it took tell the true story of how you fell ♪ ♪ that's a better one to tell [ male announcer ] this is joe woods' first day of work.
12:36 am
12:37 am
and his new boss told him two things -- cook what you love, and save your money. joe doesn't know it yet, but he'll work his way up from busser to waiter to chef before opening a restaurant specializing in fish and game from the great northwest. he'll start investing early, he'll find some good people to help guide him, and he'll set money aside from his first day of work to his last, which isn't rocket science. it's just common sense. from td ameritrade.
12:38 am
12:39 am
for men, the liver is really powerful. and it immediately takes that medication and begins to metabolize it, so quickly that you don't get the mental fog, the dizziness, even the exhaustion. it all goes away quickly because the liver is metabolizing the medication so quickly. >> that's what happens when a guy takes a sleep aid. i want you to watch carefully what it does to a woman. >> the exact same pill that the guy took over here, your liver goes to work. but your liver functions at a very different pace and metabolizes it much slower. the side effects of exhaustion left over, they'll begin to sort of go away, but they'll stay
12:40 am
intact. dizziness, it will be there, weakness, it will still be there. so will your lack of coordination. that lingers and lingers inside the body even the mental fog that we assume will be gone in the morning, it's still there. back with my guests, cyndi lauper, madeleine stowe and lisa loeb. >> that's a medical fact? you did research and that's true, that men digest quicker than women? >> not all things, but we're specifically talking about ambien type drugs. and ambien type medications are metabolized slower by women than by men. this recently, they were covering this on a show which is why it's current news. we actually had gotten notice from the fda that they're going to have the allowable dose we prescribe to women, and they're actually advising us to reduce it for men, too, but for women, it's a rule. it seems to last in women, so women get up in the morning and the drug still is on board.
12:41 am
what is sleep really telling you? >> you're tired. >> right. >> you have to sleep. it's not time for more coffee. it's time to sleep, take a nap. >> so it creates problems with dreams, it causes issues with not being awake in the day time, and it's a barometer of how we're dealing with life. if we're stressed out, if the kids are keeping us up. if there are medications onboard, caffeine is an example because it's a problem for both genders in the afternoon. it's a problem for sleep. let's take dreams, madeleine. let me go to your point earlier. describe your dreams to me. what do they signify to you, and are you a good sleeper? >> i am not a great sleeper. that probably stemmed from childhood because there was a lot of activity in the middle of the night because of my father's illness, so that never really kind of stopped. when i have that eight hours which happens maybe four times a year, the world is a completely different place. when i raised my daughter, i made sure she got plenty of sleep. she's 16 now. i notice huge mood alterations
12:42 am
when they don't have it. it's essential to mental health, but my dream life is insane. my husband used to say i would talk in my sleep or sit bolt up right and talk. and i have dreams of planes taking off and it happens repeatedly. this sounds so ridiculous and far fetched, but a lot of precog dreams, precognitive, and they're never about anything important, and the next thing you know, those images have appeared in life, and it's insignificant. >> you might be psychic. we believe that dreams tell you things. >> there's a clear meaning to planes crashing, but let me go back for a second to these precognitive, you'll dream of something that then happens in actual life? >> yeah, yeah, i mean, again, but they're not significant events, necessarily. it's nothing earth shattering.
12:43 am
they're just small things. i don't know what is going on out there. >> what do you do to sleep better? >> i try -- this is such an old lady thing. i try to get in bed before 10:00 p.m. i find if i stay up until 11:00, then i'm really, really wired. i think there's some research that indicates that the liver is more active at that particular period of time. is that true? >> no question. i don't think it's just the liver. the sleep we get before midnight is much more valuable than the sleep we get after midnight. lisa, new mom. how is sleep for you? >> sleep is actually fine. sleep is one of my number one priorities other than my kids themselves. themselves, sleep is my top priority. as a singer, i have to sleep or i'll get sick. so i was familiar with the idea that sleep is the most important thing. eight hours is perfect, seven is doable, six is okay but not for too many days in a row. i take naps, and again, i drink my one cup of coffee in the morning, but if i'm tired in the afternoon, i try to get a nap.
12:44 am
every once in a while, i have an extra cup, but unless my work really needs me to be there or my kids or my husband, i really, even if i can fall asleep and wake back up again -- >> a power nap. >> in fact, when i was pregnant with my daughter, i would carry ear plugs with me, pull over on the side of the room, put my ear plugs in, lie back, and fall asleep. >> you never got arrested? >> no. >> question for all three of you, do any of you take sleep medications? >> i sometimes take melatonin. >> melatonin? >> because -- but you know, natural doc told me once to take 20 milligrams of it, up to 20. i was like, that's a lot of melatonin. but i was sick, and she wanted me to go to sleep. >> can i give you advice on melatonin. the biggest problem is we take it for the wrong reasons and take too much. the right dose is not 20 milligrams or even 5, which is how it is often sold. it's half a milligram, and take
12:45 am
it at least a half hour to an hour before bedtime. it's particularly valuable when you're time shifting, not just time zones but sometimes you sleep later on the weekend, have to get up early on the week day. less melatonin, and i'm going to announce it clearly, we're taking too many sleep medications. if anyone out there at home is taking medications for more than two or three months at a time, it's a big problem. >> being a musician, traveling to japan, some place where immediately you have to be up the next morning working or on television and singing and you need your sleep, i have taken ambien before. i would take half. i had to stop doing that because i almost burned my kitchen down in new york city cooking a tortilla in the middle of the night. and i gained ten pounds. next, we're talking about toxins in our food. where are the biggest problems? you're not going to believe what i found. progress-oh! [ female announcer ] with 40 delicious progresso soups at 100 calories or less, there are plenty of reasons
12:46 am
people are saying "progress-oh!" share your progress-oh! story on facebook.
12:47 am
12:48 am
12:49 am
i don't have to leave my desk and get up and go to the post office anymore. [ male announcer ] with stamps.com you can print real u.s. postage for all your letters and packages. i have exactly the amount of postage i need, the instant i need it. can you print only stamps? no... first class. priority mail. certified. international. and the mail man picks it up. i don't leave the shop anymore. [ male announcer ] get a 4 week trial plus $100 in extras including postage and a digital scale. go to stamps.com/tv and never go to the post office again. imagine these, the orange level of fluid are the orange drops that flavor your favorite drinks. if you didn't have brominated vegetable oils, it would look like this. the flavor would clump to the top. and you wouldn't want to drink that, would you? >> how safe is your food?
12:50 am
i have some disturbing news for you and your guests. i have been doing a lot of research on toxins in the food. what you saw there was an example of roman ated vegetable oil, bbo, it's related to flame retardants in carpets. they add it to citrus flavored soft drinks, mountain dews, gatorades. a little girl, sarah cavanaugh. 15 years of age. she read the label of her favorite drink, gatorade, and she thought what is that bbo in there? if you don't have it in there, you can't make it coalesce. so companies have been adding it. when you think about toxins in
12:51 am
your food, how do you process it? >> i don't think about them. i live in santa monica, we live close to a farmer's market, wonderful access to -- i drink dairy, i love it, but i like to buy milk they say they go out to the pasture and milk the cow out there. those kinds of things. >> milk, isn't it a great taste? everybody says it's great? >> it's really, really wonderful. >> raw milk, they can't ship it anymore. >> i read your books, i watch tv. i love chips, you love great tortilla chips that are cornmeal, oil, salt. >> a lot of corn that has genetically modified -- they genetically modify everything. >> are you worried about that? >> yeah when i take a tomato in europe and i tastes different when i come home and eat a tomato and it tastes like fish because they have to take the
12:52 am
shell of the shrimp and leak it with the tomato because it has a longer shelve life, i have a problem with that. >> i like real food. >> more and more we create an environment -- you can create toxins on a lot of things. hyperactivity disorder, autism. we don't have the connection, but as a physician i worry about it. this little girl, sara cavanaugh, she created a petition and got gatorade decided to take it out of their drinks. >> yay! >> exactly. i think we have the control to do this, but to live the long, healthy lives we're promising viewers tonight, part of the challenge identifying where toxins are. you mention chips. >> eat in moderation. >> i'm one of those people i eat a handful of chips and a handful of steamed broccoli.
12:53 am
>> broccoli, the easiest way to detoxify your body. the liver is a filter. takes the toxins out of your body, so if you can feed it the right stuff, the cruciferous vegetables, they allow the liver to detoxify. when you darken bread, it causes a substance that causes cancer. any carbohydrate that you heat until it's crispy, it causes cancer. >> can you eat -- i don't like good and bad food. the good food is the food that i like. but i like to think some of the things that people consider junk food that i eat, can i balance it out with a bunch of kale? can you -- is that safe to think or is that crazy to think?
12:54 am
>> it's rational, but you can't have kielbasa every day and try to get away with it. there is a traditional you know how painful heartburn can be. for fast, long lasting relief, use doctor recommended gaviscon®. only gaviscon® forms a protective barrier that helps block stomach acid from splashing up- relieving the pain quickly. try fast, long lasting gaviscon®.
12:55 am
12:56 am
there is a traditional
12:57 am
african saying when you become pregnant, have you one foot in the grey. there are so many women dying in childbirth in many community, pregnancy is feared. >> in the last month recorded, four women actually died from pregnancy complications. when i went to africa, i saw these women one after another coming in with complications and we didn't even have adequate light to treat them. >> welcome to the world little one, and the lights went out. >> a lot of clinics don't have any electricity. they use kerosene lanterns, candles, cell phones to deliver babies. once i witnessed the things i saw, i had to do something about it. my name is dr. laura satchel. i want provide a simple solar power source for lighting so women and babies can be saved. they receive the solar suitcase for free. the charge controller is very important.
12:58 am
spectacular seuss case provides medical quality lighting, charges cell phones, it has a charger for the fetal doppler we include. >> mothers are eager to come to the clinics, shifted them around. >> this light is going to bring good changes. it keeps me going. >> turn this on, there you go. >> thank you so much. >> you are so welcome. >> i want a world where women and their families get to celebrate birth, and i would love to be part of making that happen.
12:59 am
thank you for joining us. madeline stowe and lisa loeb. let me transition to the dancing and role it plays in music.

tv
Piers Morgan Tonight
CNN March 2, 2013 12:00am-1:00am PST

News/Business. (2013)

TOPIC FREQUENCY Us 8, Omega 3, Haiti 3, Madeleine Stowe 3, Gaviscon 2, Lisa 2, America 2, Precognitive 2, Europe 2, Cyndi Lauper 2, Dr. Loeb 2, Soups 1, Kimmel 1, Christopher Stone 1, Dr. Mehmet Oz 1, Fda 1, Lyla 1, Bbo 1, Ballerina 1, Piers 1
Network CNN
Duration 01:00:00
Scanned in San Francisco, CA, USA
Source Comcast Cable
Tuner Virtual Ch. 759 (CNN HD)
Video Codec mpeg2video
Audio Cocec ac3
Pixel width 1920
Pixel height 1080
Sponsor Internet Archive
Audio/Visual sound, color


disc Borrow a DVD of this show
info Stream Only
Uploaded by
TV Archive
on 3/2/2013
Views
274